- Name: Julissa Cota
- Filing date: December 22, 2020
- State of filing: California
- Name: Equinox Holdings, Inc.
- Website: www.equinox.com
- Industry: Hotel, Restaurant and Leisure
- Summary: Equinox Holdings, Inc. owns and operates Equinox health clubs offering fitness and exercise programs in person and via its website and app.
On December 22, 2020, Julissa Cota filed a Complaint in California Federal court against Equinox Holdings, Inc.. Plaintiff Julissa Cota alleges that www.equinox.com is not accessible per the WCAG 2.1 accessibility standard(s).
Plaintiff alleges issues in its Complaint including the following:
- Lack of Alternative Text (“alt-text”), or a text equivalent.
- Empty Links that contain No Text
- Redundant Links where adjacent links go to the same URL address
- Linked Images missing alt-text
Plaintiff asserts the following cause(s) of action in its Complaint:
- VIOLATIONS OF THE AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT OF 1990, 42 U.S.C. §12181
- VIOLATIONS OF THE UNRUH CIVIL RIGHTS ACT
Plaintiff seeks the following relief by way of its Complaint:
- For an Order certifying the Nationwide Class and California Class as defined herein and appointing Plaintiff and her Counsel to represent the Nationwide Class and the California Class
- A preliminary and permanent injunction pursuant to 42 U.S.C. § 12188(a)(1) and (2) and section 52.1 of the California Civil Code enjoining Defendant from violating the Unruh Civil Rights Act and ADA and requiring Defendant to take the steps necessary to make the website readily accessible to and usable by visually impaired individuals
- An award of statutory minimum damages of $4,000 per offense per person pursuant to section 52(a) of the California Civil Code.
- For attorneys’ fees and expenses pursuant to California Civil Code §§ 52(a), 52.1(h), and 42 U.S.C. § 12205
- For pre-judgment interest to the extent permitted by law
- For costs of suit
- For such other and further relief as the Court deems just and proper.